Hi! I didn’t get posts written this weekend because I was in a cabin in the woods! I’m back now with lots of thanksgiving. 🙂
I’m thankful for:
- Cousins! Bennett and his one-year-older cousin, Benjamin, were so cute this weekend! They’re starting to notice each other, and I think my little Bubs thinks his buddy is hilarious. (You know, between love-slaps in the face!) I hope they’re best friends when they’re older.
- Duck Dynasty! Okay seriously, I love this show. You should, too. In fact, you will, if you watch it. It’s on A&E, it’s hilarious, and you can even watch it on Hulu if you don’t have cable. Besides its obvious hilarity, one of the things I absolutely love is how it’s a family show with a Christian message. They end every show with a big family dinner and a prayer to Jesus, and you always get a dose of Pop-Pop wisdom somewhere in the episode: “Don’t marry some yuppie girl. Find you a meek, gentle, kind-spirited country girl. If she knows how to cook, and she carries her Bible and lives by it, and she loooves to eat bullfrogs, now there’s a woman… She doesn’t have to be a pretty girl. It’s hard to get a pretty one to cook and carry a Bible anymore.” Here are a couple of clips to whet your appetite!
- In-laws! I know a lot of people really struggle with their in-laws, but that’s not me! This past weekend, they made it possible for their three kids and their families to retreat to Beaver’s Bend in Oklahoma! They even brought yummy food! All we had to do was print out directions and drive up there. (Great practice traveling with Bubs, by the way. Sheesh! That kid does not travel light!) We had such a great time, made possible by Grammie and Pop-Pop.
- Horses! Mine was named Mex, Justin’s was Frosty, and my horse was better than his! Finally! Last time we went horseback riding was nearly ten years ago, and everyone in our group got these gorgeous Clydesdales. The stable boy took one look at me and gave me this scrawny, nearly-dead, old, spotty horse named Lucy. I felt so lame! But this time, I got a big-kid horse. Fun!!!!
- Pine cones! I forgot about them! It was so neat to see pine cones all over the ground among the leaves. I even picked up a little baby one for my little baby. It was his first pine cone, and he loved it!
- Hiking! Justin and I love to go hiking, but we haven’t in a really long time. It was so great to be out in the woods next to a trout-filled stream feeling normal and healthy again! Pregnancy and early post-partum days sure make one feel like a slug. I felt 100% normal, and I had a great time!
- My car! I got a CR-V while I was pregnant, so that we would have plenty of room for our new little family. I’m so glad! I love my car soooooooo much, and it was the perfect size for all our junk! (It may be a tight squeeze once we have two kids, though, and we’re traveling to Alabama for Christmas…)
- Not having to have another job outside the home! Bennett had a rough sleeping week last week, which totally put me out of sorts. It was terrible, and I can’t imagine having to get up and teach children all day long after one, and then two, and then three, and then FOUR nights of staying up with my kid past 2:00 a.m. I struggled to get through those days, but I was able to veg and just cuddle my baby. No way I could have dealt with teenagers on top of it.
- Peaceful sleep Saturday night! After the terrible week of no sleep and screaming all night, I was really worried about having Bubs in a cabin with ten other people. To everyone’s surprise and delight, Bennett slept in complete peace from 12:30 a.m. until around 8:30 a.m.! I was so happy to get sleep, number one, and to not be a bother to everyone else!
- Huggies! We had three blow-outs Saturday alone (two happened while traveling!) because of those loserface Pampers. NO MORE! Mine is a Huggies baby for life. (Oh wait. Well, I hope not. Ew. You know what I mean.)